The name Sallins is probably derived from the Irish word “saileach”, a place where sally bushes or willow trees grow. In bygone days Sallins was known as a transport village. There were very few houses in Sallins until the arrival of the canal in 1780. When it was decided by the builders of the canal that their waterway would cross the river Liffey near Sallins, a small hamlet grew up around the village bridge.
Once the canal was complete Sallins now had a new trading route to many places. Passenger and freight boats started to travel from Dublin to Sallins with passenger departures from Dublin on Mondays and Thursdays and return journeys on the following days.